"In the occasion of the celebrations for the World Habitat Day 2017, UN-Habitat in collaboration with the Cultural Center Brasil-Angola, organized an Urban Breakfast in Luanda with the participation of the Ministry of Housing and territorial development.
The event opened by the UN Resident Coordinator for Angola, was an opportunity to raise awareness on sustainable Urban Development almost one year after the adoption of the New Urban Agenda.
The main theme was 'Transforming our cities: Implementing the New Urban Agenda and the SDGs' and saw a number of short presentations from the UN-Habitat National Office and the World Urban Forum Secretariat, as well as from representatives of civil society organizations, Academia as well as from the Ministry that presented progress on a programme currently implemented with UN-Habitat and soon evolving into a UN joint collaboration at country level including several UN agencies based in Angola.
During the week Urban October celebrations continued with a WUF9 and the New Urban Agenda presentation and discussion at a session of the UN Country Team Meeting as well as workshops and lectures held with students in two different Universities of the city of Luanda.
The World Urban Forum Secretariat met also with the recently appointed Minister of Housing and Territorial Development, Ms. Ana Paula Carvalho to discuss opportunities for collaborations in the framework of the implementation of the New Urban Agenda and participation to the WUF9."
1. Pequeno Almoco Urbano (Programme)
2 October 2017 - Urban Breakfast on World Habitat Day and the implementation of the New Urban Agenda
UN-Habitat Angola celebrated World Habitat Day this year by hosting an Urban Breakfast on the first Monday of this month at the Centro Cultural Brasil-Angola (CCBA) to address the implementation of the New Urban Agenda in Angola, which expresses itself through the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), especially number 11, the Urban SDG. The event counted on the presence of directors and senior technicians of the Government of Angola, of multiple stakeholders linked to the urbanism sector, members of civil society, as well as UN employees. Similarly, the keynote speakers of this event included the Resident Coordinator of the United Nations Mr. Pier Paolo Balladelli, the UN-Habitat representative in Angola Mr. Thomaz Ramalho, a representative from the UN-Habitat World Urban Forum secretariat Mr. Roi Chiti. In addition, various specialists who have dealt with issues related to urbanisation and adequate housing integrated the diverse contents of the New Urban Agenda were in attendance. The six speakers presented the following topics:
- Urban Development in Angola: PNOTU and PNUH, by Architect António Gameiro;
- Sustainable Urban Development in the Local Sphere: The Experience of Singapore, by Architect Ema Samali;
- The PNOTU-HCPD Platform of UN-Habitat for Sustainable Urban Development and the Implementation of the New Urban Agenda in Angola, by Architect Thomaz Ramalho;
- New Urban Agenda - Social Inclusion, Poverty Erradication, and Participation of Civil Society, by Architect Allan Cain;
- New Urban Agenda - Planning and Managing of Spatial Urban Development, by Architect Angela Mingas;
- Defining the Principles, Instruments and Methodologies of the New Urban Agenda as a Priority for Sustainable Urban Development in Angola, by Architect Marcella Guarneri.
The event was held at the Cultural Center Brasil-Angola.